Douglas Partners can assist you to mitigate the impact of your projects on both the built and natural environment.
Our dedicated team of in-house environmental engineers, scientists, hydrogeologists, occupational hygienists, and auditors are ready to lend their expert skills to your projects. With a proven track record, we excel in guiding clients through the complexities of regulatory frameworks, enhancing compliance across the project lifecycle.
Embracing innovation, our environmental consultants specialise in various areas, including contaminated land management (site investigation, risk assessment, site remediation, and validation), waste management, salinity and acid sulfate soils, landfill services, marine/dredging, occupational hygiene, and environmental auditing.
Integrated practical solutions
Reliable service and easy to work with
Conduct our business with integrity
Full geotechnical and groundwater engineering support
Tender preparation service
Comprehensive range of analytical testing
Haskoning Australia Pty LimitedDouglas Partners did a fantastic job on the Middle Arm Sustainable Development Precinct Project Marine scope of works. Team members were impressed with the high quality work
Mr Damien ToogoodThe team at Douglas Partners went above and beyond at every point. Their written report was extremely thorough. Their ability to explain the report to me as we looked through it together was so helpful.
Contaminated Land Management
Contaminated land is a pressing concern, and we understand the challenges it poses to projects and the environment. That’s why Douglas Partners leverages the best available technologies and methodologies to assess, remediate, and effectively manage contaminated land, easing your worries and ensuring a smooth project execution.
Our comprehensive suite of contaminated land management services includes:
Conceptual site model development and refinement over the project lifecycle from simple models to advanced data visualisation methods (e.g. Leapfrog Geo), depending on the complexity of the site conditions.
Contaminant fate and transport modelling, typically using common software packages, e.g. MODFLOW / Groundwater Vistas, GeoStudio, Hydrus, BioChlor, Mass Flux Toolkit to assess either potential risk(s) to receptor(s) or remediation feasibility / remediation performance (e.g. natural attenuation).
Human health and ecological risk assessment utilising mathematical models.
Remediation options assessments for:
- Soils including in situ or ex situ bioremediation, stabilisation / solidification, containment cell / capping systems, thermal desorption, phytoremediation, soil vapour extraction and soil washing.
- Groundwater including pump and treat, chemical oxidation, bioremediation (biostimulation and / or bioaugmentation), permeable reactive barrier, monitored natural attenuation and phytoremediation.
- Soil vapour / landfill gas including active or passive sub-slab ventilation layers and welded membranes.
Remediation system concept design, detailed design and specifications, including in collaboration with our trusted industry partners and product vendors.
Remediation feasibility and scoping studies (bench-scale, in collaboration with our laboratory sub-contractors, and pilot trials) and sustainable remediation assessment/green remediation metrics assessment.
Remediation risk forecasting using probabilistic methods to evaluate potential project risks associated with the inherent complexity of natural systems, contaminant distribution between sampling points and/or other parameters of interest defined by our clients.
Validation of site remediation, including any ongoing monitoring and/or management.
Our comprehensive waste management services encompass:
- Waste classification of materials (e.g. materials testing spoil or contaminated fill) under relevant regulatory frameworks.
- Resource recovery involving assessment of wastes (e.g. surplus soils / materials) for the purpose of beneficial re-use under relevant regulatory frameworks.
- Waste minimisation on contaminated land remediation projects via design optimisation encapsulating contaminated soils (i.e. potential waste) in-place, and/or within strategically located engineered containment cells within the proposed final landform, to minimise waste generation and disposal costs.
- Fill / waste quantity volume forecasting utilising probabilistic methods to assess uncertainty of fill depth (and/or contaminant concentrations) between data points to provide a theoretical distribution curve forecasting a range of potential outcomes upon excavation, based on an existing dataset.
- Hazardous waste management and advice of waste treatment options.
- Waste management planning.
- Testing of surplus water from construction or dam dewatering for disposal / discharge requirements.
Douglas Partners’ Waste Management Services take the burden of navigating complex environmental regulations off your shoulders, while focusing on the core objective of sustainable waste management.
We understand the challenges businesses face when it comes to handling and treating contaminated sites or hazardous materials. Our dedicated team of consultants is here to support you with cost-effective waste management solutions tailored to your specific needs.
Salinity and Acid Sulfate Soils Assessment
Douglas Partners specialises in assisting clients with the assessment and management of saline soils and acid sulfate soils (ASS). Our services cater to various client needs, ranging from compliance with local government development requirements to site planning, onsite ASS management, and assessing potential effects on structures. With our expertise and focus on environmental sustainability, we provide practical solutions that ensure projects meet the necessary standards while minimising risks and promoting successful outcomes.
Our services include:
- Preliminary assessment of potential for salinity and ASS through desk-top studies.
- Assessment of potential and extent of salinity and ASS through field investigations comprising sample collection and testing.
- Field-testing and laboratory analysis.
- Compliance with Council requirements.
- Preparation of management plans to ensure safe and effective management of ASS and salinity.
Our landfill services includes:
- Cell and capping design with clay, HDPE (cell), LLDPE (capping), geo-composites and protective geo-fabrics tailored to site conditions.
- Leachate drainage and collection systems.
- Surveying to provide design base levels and production of construction drawings.
- 3-D modelling for waste and soil (extraction) volumes.
- Slope stability assessment and analysis for estimation of settlement.
- Rehabilitation and post-closure plans including final height contours, both pre and post-settlement.
- Terrain analysis, geological mapping and desk studies for the siting of new landfills.
- Hydrogeological assessments.
- Water balance studies, leachate control and treatment studies and leachate evaporation pond design.
- Landfill environmental management plans.
- Operational and closure plans.
- Phasing plans for sites including drawings, volumetrics and soils balances.
- Due diligence on current operational and former landfill sites.
- Design mitigations for construction over or near former landfill sites including gas ventilation, extraction and barrier systems.
- Site management and action plans for the control and remediation of landfill gas migration.
- Assessment of landfill gas migration using chemical and carbon fingerprinting techniques.
- Gas field design including well placement, design and installation quality assurance.
- On site gas monitoring including composition of gas, flow of gas and capping / well integrity.
Douglas Partners can help you navigate the intricate landscape of landfill management, ensuring compliance and optimal performance for a sustainable and efficient landfill solution. We offer extensive expertise in landfill permitting for design, gas control, and leachate control, catering to proposed, existing, and closed landfills.
Our experienced team provides design and earthworks specifications, incorporating cutting-edge geosynthetics technology, all in accordance with the latest siting and design guidelines, as well as state-based regulations.
Marine Dredging and Environmental Studies
Douglas Partners provides effective solutions for clients seeking assessments of marine and estuarine sediments’ environmental impact. Our specialised services cover sediment contamination in various water bodies, including inland freshwater creeks, rivers, lakes, estuarine, coastal, and harbor areas, as well as marine environments.
With expertise in analysing sediment and pore water, we offer comprehensive insights into contaminant concentrations, empowering informed decision-making. Additionally, our understanding of fluvial processes enhances clients’ awareness of sediment dynamics in water bodies.
Our range of services, backed by an innovative drilling and field services unit, include:
- Sampling, testing and assessment of freshwater, estuarine and marine sediments.
- Acid sulfate soil assessment.
- Specialist elutriate, bioavailability, toxicity and bioaccumulation testing in collaboration with our laboratory sub-contractors and research entities, depending on the complexity of the project.
- Geotechnical investigation for dredging works design.
- Harbour reclamation studies.
- Dredged spoil disposal advice under the National Assessment Guidelines for Dredging framework.
- Geophysical surveys of bottom sediment type and depth in collaboration with our trusted industry partners.
- Advanced 3-D modelling of sediment deposits using modelling/data visualisation tools (e.g., Leapfrog Geo).
- Sediment remediation feasibility studies for capping and in situ treatment or ex situ treatment. Concept and detailed design, in collaboration with our specialist sub-consultants, where necessary.
- Validation of sediment remediation.
Occupational Hygiene Services
Our services include:
Asbestos / Hazardous Materials
- Building surveys (for general compliance, due-diligence and demolition purposes)
- Air monitoring for asbestos, lead and other contaminants
- Clearance inspections and certificates
- Management plans
- Technical specifications for removal
- Site observation during removal work
- Investigation of unexpected finds
- Workplace walkthrough assessments
- Personal exposure air monitoring (e.g. dust, silica, VOC’s)
- Noise (dosimetry, surveys, and mapping)
- Indoor air quality
- Radiation (ionising and non-ionising)
- Thermal stress
- Vibration (hand-arm and whole body)
At Douglas Partners, we offer comprehensive occupational hygiene services that encompass the management of asbestos and hazardous building materials. Our qualified and experienced team includes Licensed Asbestos Assessors (LAA’s) and Competent Person(s) who conduct thorough assessments, adhering to Australian legislative requirements, industry guidelines, and best practices.
Beyond asbestos management, our services extend to identifying, assessing, and controlling various other chemical, biological, and physical stressors in the workplace. With a strong focus on compliance and safety, we are committed to ensuring a healthy and hazard-free work environment for our clients.
Mike Nash is a hydrogeologist and NPER Registered Engineer in both the Civil and Environmental Divisions of Engineers Australia. Mike has carried out approximately 100 contaminated sites audits in various jurisdictions, including piggeries, chicken farms, orchard and market garden sites, glasshouse sites, service stations, commercial and industrial sites, landfills, defence department facilities, railway facilities and electrical depots.
Paul Moritz is an environmental and industrial chemist and Fellow of the Royal Australian Chemical Institute and a Chartered Chemist. He has completed over 40 environmental audits. These have included: former service stations; factory sites; urban warehouses and workshops; market gardens, orchards, and grazing land; schools; Council depots, and sites affected or occupied by landfills.
We serve a wide range of clients, from land developers and local government authorities to schools and private landfill operators. The responsibilities of contaminated sites auditors, and the way in which they work, varies from State to State. Mike and Paul are accredited in various States as follows:
- NSW, ACT, NT: Mike Nash, Paul Moritz
- VIC: Paul Moritz
In Victoria, we can conduct preliminary risk screen assessments (PRSAs) to determine if an environmental audit is necessary.
Environmental auditors, also known as contaminated sites auditors, play a crucial role in ensuring sites are suitable for their intended use and verifying the cleanup of contaminated land. Their tasks extend beyond this, often as a requirement of planning approval or other statutory obligations. Auditors review and endorse environmental management plans, assess environmental conditions, and verify the quality of work by other consultants.
Douglas Partners’ two experienced auditors, Mike Nash, and Dr. Paul Moritz balance objectivity and independence in their work, ensuring efficient protection of the environment’s interests.